Definition of Fairway Bond
What is a Fairway Bond
A fairway bond, also known as an index floater, index range note, corridor bond or range accrual note, is a type of bond that offers a unique structure and payment mechanism based on the movement of an underlying interest rate or interest index. A fairway bond is designed to provide investors with income when the interest rate remains within a specified range.
How Does a Fairway Bond Work
In the world of bond investing, fairway bonds have gained in popularity due to their ability to generate stable returns in certain interest rate environments. These bonds typically pay interest only when the underlying interest rate or interest index stays within a predetermined range or corridor, known as the "fairway." This range is determined at the time of issuance and is a crucial factor in assessing the potential return of the bond.
Income Stream on a Fairway Bond
The primary objective of a fairway bond is to offer investors a fixed income stream for as long as the interest rate remains within the specified range. The interest payments are typically based on a fixed spread over the prevailing benchmark interest rate or index. When the interest rate stays within the fairway, investors receive regular interest payments.
However, if the interest rate moves outside the specified range, the fairway bond stops making interest payments until the rate returns within the predetermined range. This feature allows fairway bond issuers to align their interest rate exposure with their desired risk profile.
Best Investor for a Fairway Bond
Fairway bonds are suitable for investors who anticipate a stable interest rate environment or expect the interest rate to remain within a specific range. These bonds can be particularly attractive during periods of low interest rate volatility or when interest rates are expected to move within a narrow band.
Understanding the Risks of a Fairway Bond
Investing in fairway bonds requires careful evaluation of the underlying interest rate dynamics, as well as an understanding of the bond's specific terms and conditions. It is crucial for investors to assess the potential risks, including the potential for reduced or suspended interest payments if the interest rate exceeds the fairway.
Final Thoughts on Fairway Bonds
In summary, fairway bonds offer a unique investment opportunity for bond investors seeking stable income in a specific interest rate range. By closely monitoring interest rate movements and assessing the predetermined fairway, investors can make informed decisions about the potential returns and risks associated with fairway bonds.
GlobEx Markets Financial Dictionary of Terms, Phrases and Concepts
The GlobEx Markets financial dictionary is a reference resource that provides the definitions and explanations of various financial terms, phrases and concepts that are used in international finance and global investing. It includes a broad range of financial terms, such as those related to stocks, bonds, currencies, commodities, options, futures, crypto and much more.
A financial dictionary can be useful for anyone who wants to learn more about finance and investing, or who works in the financial industry. It can help clarify the meaning of technical terms and the language used in financial publications, reports and other sources.
Benefits of the GlobEx Markets Financial Dictionary
There are several benefits to using the GlobEx Markets financial dictionary, including:
- Clarifying Technical Terminology: The financial world is filled with complex terms and language that can be confusing to those who are not familiar with it. A financial dictionary can help clarify the meaning of technical terms and make them more understandable.
- Improving Financial Literacy: By learning the meaning of financial terms, phrases and concepts, you can improve your overall financial literacy and gain a better understanding of the workings of the financial world.
- Enhancing Communication: A financial dictionary can help improve communication among financial professionals by ensuring that everyone is using the same terminology, phrases and concepts.
- Supporting Research: When conducting financial research or analysis, a financial dictionary can be a valuable resource for identifying and understanding key terms, phrases and concepts.
- Facilitating Decision-Making: Understanding financial terms, phrases and concepts can help you make better-informed financial decisions, whether you are managing your own finances or making decisions on behalf of an organization.
Overall, the GlobEx Markets financial dictionary can help improve your understanding of international finance and global investing. It is a valuable tool for anyone who works in the financial industry or who wants to improve their financial literacy.