The history of the Lima Stock Exchange began on December 31, 1860 when President Ramon Castilla founded the Bolsa de Comercio de Lima. During its first three decades, the exchange managed to keep nominal quotes on assets that traded in the most important local commercial markets.
The exchange was renamed in 1898 as the Bolsa Comercial de Lima and the first issue of the Bolsa Comercial de Lima Daily Bulletin was published in the same year. Stocks, bonds and notes were traded on the exchange with the most liquid financial assets being banks, insurance companies and Peruvian Government debt.
Uncertainty and wide fluctuations experienced by securities between 1929 and 1932, followed by World War II, led to new reform, which in 1951 resulted in the creation of the Bolsa de Comercio de Lima. On September 22, 1970, the current Bolsa de Valores de Lima (BVL) or Lima Stock Exchange was established as a non-profit civil partnership issued by the governing military dictatorship.
It wasn't until the 1990's that the Lima Stock Exchange emerged as a small but promising market in the Latin America region. The securities market framework was reformed in 1996 to adapt to the new environment generated by the opening of the country's economy. In March 1996, the exchange took over the Bolsa de Valores de Arequipa, which allowed the Lima Stock Exchange to be the only exchange market in Peru. It became an equity for profit exchange on January 1, 2003.